HOCGB

Author Topic: i800 Coolant Pipes - £600?!?!?!  (Read 76 times)

Offline Mark

i800 Coolant Pipes - £600?!?!?!
« on: February 14, 2020, 17:58:12 »
Hi,
I joined this site a few years back meaning to add my two penn’orth to the discussions then forgot all about it. Now I am posting a request for advice.
I took my 11-plate i800 (95,000 miles, had from new) to get the air-con checked out as it had failed again after being re-gassed just a month ago and was told that I needed my coolant pipes replacing.
The bloke from the garage showed me how corroded they were (extremely!) and then broke the news that they could only be obtained from a Hyundai dealership and they had quoted him £600.
He seemed very apologetic, almost embarrassed, at having to say a couple of pipes would be so much and suggested it might be possible to use rubber hosing instead of dealer parts.
He also suggested that as the corroded pipes were going to and from the rear heater it might be possible to cut them out of the loop so to speak – losing the rear heater (which I never use anyway).
And at a push, a third possibility might be to get some bespoke parts made.
He also made it clear that his place (Kwik-Fit) wouldn’t be able to do any such work so I would also need to find someone more practically minded than myself to do the work. (Incidentally, can’t fault KwikFit for their customer service – didn’t charge me a penny – think he felt sorry for me facing a £600 bill for a couple of pipes!)

So, my question is… does anyone have any experience of their coolant pipes disintegrating and, if so, what did they do about it? And if anyone has any thoughts on any of the suggested courses of action I’m all ears.

Cheers,
Mark

Offline Mark

Re: i800 Coolant Pipes - £600?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 14:54:50 »
Having now had a good look around this site it's clear that rusty coolant pipes are quite a common occurrence!

Instead of forking out £600 for a couple of pipes I took my i800 to another garage (Bar 4x4 of Hednesford, Staffs) who had seen the same thing countless times and simply used some rubber hose to bypass the rear heater before topping up with coolant. Total cost £50.

Cheers,
Mark