Dash Cams

• 17 Replies

Offline Jon

Dash Cams
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 10:32:01 »
I wired mine by tucking the wire from the camera out of sight along the headlining above the screen. Then pop open the A pillar trim at the side of the screen (this is designed to pop out as it allows the airbag behind it to deploy) and come down forward of the airbag, then once below the airbag cross towards the door. From there tuck the cable into the rubber of the door seal then out under the dash.
I've just plugged mine into the spare 12V outlet (there's 2 plus USB on the Santa Fe) but you could use a piggyback fuse to USB power lead to tap in to the fuse box on the side of the dashboard.

The wiring is completely out of sight and can be done in a couple of minutes.
The camera is a Nextbase 402 pro with GPS and wide dynamic range for low light. End of line model bought on Amazon for under £70. It's terrific quality video.

I'd be very cautious about removing the cigarette lighter end of the power cable. Somewhere in the wiring you'll have a drop from the 12v of the socket to the 5v USB output. That may be within the cigarette lighter part you want to remove. You can buy fused 12v to USB cables with mini DC transformers on eBay and Amazon, or the camera supplier will sell you one.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline Fengsley

Dash Cams
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 11:05:23 »
Quote from: ABSi30
Just joined so hope clicking goes to correct people/sections. I have a i30 comfort diesel auto Sept 2011 with 18,000 miles on clock. Would be pleased if member would point me in right direction for sat how long does it take v tight gel nav and hope ful instructions for wiring to interior light above windscreen. Seen 2 screws behind glasses holder and what to expect when cig plug taken off lead.
Many thanks. This seems to be an ideal way of cutting down on wires on view. Also due to bumpy dash for my Garmin sat nav invested in the Garmin bean bag type holder works great.
I will be getting my dash cam soon. I'll prob do it this way too.

Offline Gotagetz

Dash Cams
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 20:29:36 »
got a nextbase 412 in the SAAB.
wired it in with a hardwire kit, wires not visible and works from ignition