Limited slip dif

• 11 Replies

Offline noosantafe

• Global Moderator
Limited slip dif
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:14:04 »
Dunno if this helps?.

2016 Santa Fe/Santa Fe Sport offers an advanced AWD system and features Active Cornering Control AWD
       • Advanced electronic AWD system designed by Magna
    • Includes driver selectable AWD lock - allows for torque split between the front and rear
       wheels — for off-road and very slippery conditions only
    • Previously, AWD systems control wheelspin by braking a spinning wheel or cutting the
       power from the engine
    • Active Cornering Control AWD system is the next generation in AWD systems   —transfers torque to the wheels that have the most grip
    • Torque vectoring is achieved by using redesigned differentials that can distribute power to the rear axle for improved traction — applies brakes to the inside rear wheel for improved cornering performance — Improved lateral stability while cornering — Removal of unintended over-and under-steer by reducing unwanted traction to the front axle.

Gazza!!!
My tombstone will say \"Idle git never cleaned his car\"
Tuscon N-line Hybrid polo white Tucson N-line fiery red my daughters.

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
Limited slip dif
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:46:45 »
That is what most decent soft roaders do these days, but it is not an LSD, the capability depends on the software. The Freelander2 has had this type of system since late 2006
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline Disco J Supernova

Limited slip dif
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 18:57:54 »
I note that says "AWD" not 4x4.  ;)

Offline Ruperts Trooper

Limited slip dif
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 20:02:21 »
Quote from: PobodY
I note that says "AWD" not 4x4.  ;)
And the difference is ?

Both 4x4 and 6x6 are AWD vehicles.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline benlovesgoddess

Limited slip dif
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 21:56:43 »
Would AWD be the correct term for something like our CR-V, where it isn't full time 4x4 (and with no option for the driver to select 2 or 4 wheel drive themselves)?
Owned 2013 Hyundai i20 1.1 Crdi Bluedrive for 2 and a half years. That\'s one way to lose £9,000 in depreciation!

Offline Jon

Limited slip dif
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 23:56:32 »
AWD, 4WD, 4x4 - all means the same thing.
The CRV system is similar to hyundai's, volvo's and many others. Front drive until spin detected then four wheel drive -all done automatically with the driver largely unaware of what's going on. But it lacks the ability to lock into four wheel drive when setting off that Hyundai and Kia fit to their system.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
Limited slip dif
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 14:28:11 »
4WD is generally accepted that at least one front and one rear wheel is always driven, this is not the case with the Hyundai or CRV, also strangely neither is the Shogun unless it has been changed as it is a selectable 4WD so not AWD or a genuine 4WD. The Freelanders are 4WD as there is always a percentage of the power going to the rear and it is always 50/50 from stand still.
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline noosantafe

• Global Moderator
Limited slip dif
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 14:59:26 »
I had the 2002 Santa Fe 2.4 petrol with 50-50 - 4x4 and was lucky to get 20mpg out of it.  
The LR Evoque has no spare wheel and nowhere to put it if you wished to buy one!. Absolutely bloody potty for an offroad vehicle. :(  :(

Gazza!!!
My tombstone will say \"Idle git never cleaned his car\"
Tuscon N-line Hybrid polo white Tucson N-line fiery red my daughters.

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
Limited slip dif
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 18:05:35 »
Quote from: noosantafe
I had the 2002 Santa Fe 2.4 petrol with 50-50 - 4x4 and was lucky to get 20mpg out of it.  
The LR Evoque has no spare wheel and nowhere to put it if you wished to buy one!. Absolutely bloody potty for an offroad vehicle. :(  :(

Gazza!!!
If you order it from new you can have a spare wheel, if you didn't order it with a spare you can't fit one, different boot floor pan.The car is capable of going off road but you don't have to take it off road and some are FWD. You have to remember since you left LR they have become a have to have car and not a utility vehicle or even a practical vehicle :D
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline Ruperts Trooper

Limited slip dif
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 18:28:23 »
Quote from: dartman
4WD is generally accepted that at least one front and one rear wheel is always driven, this is not the case with the Hyundai or CRV, also strangely neither is the Shogun unless it has been changed as it is a selectable 4WD so not AWD or a genuine 4WD. The Freelanders are 4WD as there is always a percentage of the power going to the rear and it is always 50/50 from stand still.
That's just one interpretation - the terms are so imprecise that you find more detail about exactly what sort of system is used and how it's configured.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline benlovesgoddess

Limited slip dif
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 21:49:20 »
Interesting. Our old Terrano 2.7 diesel was lucky to return 27 mpg in selected 2wd,  never did a full tank in 4wd. I preferred being able to stick it in 4wd when you wanted, never trust the Honda CR-V back wheels will kick in till after its too late! However, we have averaged 43 mpg in it over the last 4,000 miles. Not bad for a sort of four wheel drive big thing!
Owned 2013 Hyundai i20 1.1 Crdi Bluedrive for 2 and a half years. That\'s one way to lose £9,000 in depreciation!

Offline SantaInSurrey

Limited slip dif
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 11:40:42 »
Quote from: noosantafe
The LR Evoque has no spare wheel and nowhere to put it if you wished to buy one!

Even more so now they've decided to take the roof off and fill the boot with folded fabric!

Funnily enough, I was at JLR Halewood a few weeks back and saw the RR Evoque Convertible undergoing some final testing at the end of the line.  If there was ever a car not meant to wear mud off road, this was it - absolutely impractical, even for the gymkhana brigade - but it will sell like hot cakes and keep the skilled JLR staff there in jobs.
2011 Santa Fe Premium in Phantom Black with Winbo s/s side bars