Patronizing responses to questions

• 11 Replies

Offline watto

« on: June 18, 2016, 08:38:53 »
I have noticed over the years of being a member of this great forum that certain members usually respond to other members questions in a very patronizing manor.

Maybe they see it as a stupid question but it should be remembered that there is no such thing as a stupid question. A constructive answer is always more useful in  helping someone make there mind up whether to resolve  a financial or technical issue.

The same members  appear on other forums with the same attitude, even telling me that the SF is not suitable for twin axle towing and what a poor SUV it is so yes i have been a victim of these patronizing comments.

So please before you cast your personal views on someones choices or ability to complete a task - think before you type!

Watto
2011 Santa Fe Premium Vanilla White towing an Elddis Crusader Cyclone

Offline kingo800

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 10:35:26 »
Quote from: watto
I have noticed over the years of being a member of this great forum that certain members usually respond to other members questions in a very patronizing manor.

Maybe they see it as a stupid question but it should be remembered that there is no such thing as a stupid question. A constructive answer is always more useful in  helping someone make there mind up whether to resolve  a financial or technical issue.

The same members  appear on other forums with the same attitude, even telling me that the SF is not suitable for twin axle towing and what a poor SUV it is so yes i have been a victim of these patronizing comments.

So please before you cast your personal views on someones choices or ability to complete a task - think before you type!

Watto

I second that.....

Offline Shambles

• Admin
    • https://www.i30ownersclub.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 11:30:13 »
Use the "Report" link if you think there's a problem - we can take it from there.
2008 i30 Premium CRDi manual.
2014 i30 Style Nav CRDi 128ps manual.
2017 Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid.

Join us at the i30 Owners Club

Offline watto

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 06:36:56 »
will do shambles.

Watto

Offline HURRICANEPLANES

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:06:20 »
It is also nice to receive an answer to questions posted. I cannot believe that there is no knowledge out there to members questions that are needing an answer. Only indifference perhaps to members who are seeking help.

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:47:16 »
Quote from: HURRICANEPLANES
It is also nice to receive an answer to questions posted. I cannot believe that there is no knowledge out there to members questions that are needing an answer. Only indifference perhaps to members who are seeking help.
If no-one who uses the forum knows the answer, then what?

Many Hyundai models sold in relatively low numbers when new, many of those surviving now owned by non-enthusiasts who use a workshop to fix any issues and may not even frequent forums of any kind.

It's not like a Ford or Vauxhall forum where they sell in their 100,000s and go wrong frequently enough for "everyone" to know how to fix them.

To suggest that it's indifference by those who do contribute is an insult  :mad:
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline Shambles

• Admin
    • https://www.i30ownersclub.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 08:35:07 »
Quite often, questions require a qualified technical answer yet the vast majority of members are simply "users" who have joined to seek a solution to their own issues. As such you'll find  responses are limited to those given by technicians or members who may have suffered the same issue and managed to obtain a fix.

The forum owner, with whom I've spoken recently, is finding it increasingly difficult to even visit his own forum nevermind start wading through the raft of unanswered questions. That's life I'm afraid, and as we're all volunteers anyway I guess we should be grateful that there's even a forum here at all  :cool:
2008 i30 Premium CRDi manual.
2014 i30 Style Nav CRDi 128ps manual.
2017 Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid.

Join us at the i30 Owners Club

Offline HURRICANEPLANES

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 17:34:27 »
I understand and fully appreciate the comments from the two previous contributors but having been a member of the Volvo 850 site and more recently The Rover 75 site where there was a wealth of information and help offered to most questions or requests for help, please forgive me for expecting a similar level of replies. If you read my original post I did suggest that "perhaps indifference" was the reason and I am not accusing anyone of a could not care less attitude. Just that I have found a big difference since owning a Tucson and other vehicles in the replies received to requests for help or information.

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 20:29:29 »
The problem is that the sites you mention are limited to certain models in limited years, those frequenting those forums will have knowledge of those vehicles. This forum is divided into models and the number of Tucsons are not very high on this forum and it also seems that most on here have limited knowledge regarding problems or even maintaining, a quick check indicates most are dealer maintained.
Our Admin probably has the most knowledge but even he doesn't know everything, if you receive no answer I suspect no one knows, and the best suggestion is check on the KIA Sportage forum which basically is the same car.
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline watto

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 09:57:08 »
'and it also seems that most on here have limited knowledge regarding problems or even maintaining'

The very reason i raised this post...

Offline Administrator

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 23:25:33 »
Unfortunately sarcasm and patronising are vey common place on the internet.

I have not been able to concentrate on the site for the last few years as I have other commitments aswell as this site. I also lost my access to the technical site for dealers which allowed me to access all the up to date faults with Hyundai. I have the very last GDS software which has a lot of info on it but the wiring diagrams are not they so I need to get that repaired. Not a problem but it takes time as no bugger seems to want to help especially dealers these days
Another problem is that all info will go on the cloud soon and access to stuff will cost and ayt the moment its about £2k a year which I have not got spare. I have also got to be careful of what info I supply because of copyright and liability. The site will get overhauled soon as I have been talking to the web desiner and maybe switch to another forum base.

Until then bear with us and enjoy the site

Many Thanks : Admin
HYUNDAI DIAGNOSTIC TECHNICIAN

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 08:27:22 »
Quote from: watto
'and it also seems that most on here have limited knowledge regarding problems or even maintaining'

The very reason i raised this post...
This forum is as I stated a multi model forum, I don't see my post as condescending or patronising, that is my perception of the forum. Most manufacture forums are similar, they are a good information of the likes, dislikes and faults but the scope is too large for in depth advice that semi cult single model forums have.
The forums that give the in depth model information are normally for a singe model, they can be quite patronising and if the subject has been discussed before the topic raiser is pointed firmly to the search function or a link given.
I really am not sure this forum is for individual in depth technical knowledge, more a general help forum, some members are more technical than others, but many of the members on here are either of the era bought up to look if it is economical to fix or throw away, not fix themselves unless very simple, those that have the knowledge to fix may now be of the age where they actually have passed the age of wanting to but can diagnose or stand over the mechanic and question him, therefore will be able to answer some questions.
There doesn't seem to be individual Hyundai model forums for the UK, though apparently there was one for the Tucson which may tell a story regarding that sort of interest.
old banger
I'm still not PC correct