Newbie - advise on getting spare key

• 3 Replies

Offline shy7g

« on: December 16, 2016, 14:51:32 »
Hi All
I'm new to the forum and just bought an i10 for my daughter she's very happy with it.
It's a 2008 Style 1.2 model
Question:
Only had one key with car (the one with the separate 2-button key fob) where the best place to get a spare?, does it need a transponder? will a 3-button flip type work?
look forward to hearing from one and all
many thanks
Rich

Offline Piskoty

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 20:12:11 »
I'd be interested to know too, beyond getting one for £286 from the main dealer!
i20 Active 1.2 5dr - Diamond Black (62 plate)

Offline Gotagetz

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 16:56:51 »
suggest that you bite the bullet and visit your dealer.
we have a standard key for our getz and it had to be cut and delivered from germany and then programmed by the dealer. that was £120.

Offline Jon

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 18:13:26 »
There are some independent car locksmiths who can clone an existing key or program the car diagnostics to accept a new remote. They won't always be cheaper than a dealer, it depends on whether they can obtain an aftermarket fob or have to buy from Hyundai.

I had a key made up for my previous Santa Fe. It involved cutting a new key blade to match the old one and cloning the transponder from the old one. Cost was just over £100 from Bournemouth Car Keys. A new 2 button remote was slightly more as it had to be bought from Hyundai. At least I had a spare key then, even though it had no remote.

Some older cars don't need access to diagnostic programming equipment to add a remote, it's done via a button hidden below the steering column. The car can be set to respond to a pre owned remote fob. Unfortunately I don't think your i10 is one of them.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.