Importing a 10 year old Atos

• 5 Replies

Offline Alan Bush

« on: December 04, 2016, 11:09:45 »
I am trying to import my 10 year old Hyuandi Atos from Spain to the UK. I have twice been rejected by the DVLA because they want "the original non-UK registration certificate or export certificate" - which I do not have.
I've sent them a copy of an email from my local dealer - Dingles - stating the date of manufacture but the DVLA still rejected my application.
Can anyone please give me advice as to how to proceed?
Thank you, Alan

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:13:26 »
AFAIK it was known as the Amica in the UK - doesn't take much to confuse DVLA!

Where's the "original non-UK registration certificate" - presumably that's the Spanish equivalent of our V5C.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 16:00:47 »
They can't stop you entering the country with it and driving it for 6months on Spanish plates your problem is registering it in this country and modifying the lighting to conform to UK if required. You must have some document that enabled you to get the registration plates and proof of ownership. Providing you nip across the channel every 6 months why register it?
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 16:07:49 »
Quote from: dartman
They can't stop you entering the country with it and driving it for 6months on Spanish plates your problem is registering it in this country and modifying the lighting to conform to UK if required. You must have some document that enabled you to get the registration plates and proof of ownership. Providing you nip across the channel every 6 months why register it?
They can if you're British - only foreign vistors get that concession under the international convention - to keep that going every six months the car has to be taxed, tested and insured abroad - most countries don't permit that without an address in that country.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 16:34:04 »
Then one must decide on the cheapest method, I suspect with a 10 year old Atos it may well be cheaper to have a friendly accommodation address in Spain and keep it insured  there.  :D
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline Alan Bush

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:15:07 »
Hi guys - thanks for the responses and suggestions. The story so far; I have the Atos taxed, insured and ITV (same as MoT) in Spain and have driven it to the UK. I've had the lights changed and the car has now passed it's UK MOT. I can't keep it on Spanish registration unless I take it back to Spain every 2 years for a new ITV - which I would need to renew the Spanish (drive anywhere in Europe) insurance. Also, now it has UK lights it wouldn't pass an ITV! So I need to "import" it into the UK. The car was manufactured in India and I've written to Hyuandi Motors India Ltd to ask for the copies / originals that the DVLA want -"the original non-UK registration certificate or export certificate" but have not had a response yet to 2 emails.
I didn't get a V5 (Certificado de Registro de Automovil) when I bought the car, although I do have proof of ownership and am registered to pay road tax at my Spanish town hall.
 Further to Ruperts Trooper's suggestion I'm going to see how I can get a copy of the Spanish "V5" today. Thanks for your time and trouble. Alan