Fuel.........?

• 5 Replies

Offline Wilbur

Fuel.........?
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:24:46 »
Hi......

We have just about used up the half a tank of fuel that came in the new Tucson we picked up a fortnight ago.
A refuelling stop is on the cards later today but a bit of advice/opinion would be appreciated.  The car has the 1.7, 141PS, DCT FWD engine and is only the second diesel engined car we have had.

Our motoring is nearly all short trips except for one long trip in the summer.Annual mileage just exceeds 4k. 75% of the total will be journeys of under 15 miles with one or two stops (plus 3 or 4 more using the ISG).

I understand that technology has reduced the 'dirty' system problems requiring a weekly run to clear the muck but can anyone advise the preferred fuel to keep all things working well. The choices seem to be supermarket unbranded, or, main brand standard, or, the V/Ultimate types.

Any opinions welcomed.

Offline Ruperts Trooper

Fuel.........?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 14:30:01 »
A quick google found this http://www.oilem.com...-diesel-fuel-2/

Quote "So yes, premium diesel is better than standard diesel. But is it worth its higher price tag?
On that matter, we are not so sure. The main issue is that premium diesel fuels could be so much better considering the significant extra cost per litre. The additional detergent currently included is still barely enough to retain a clean engine on most fuel systems and engine types, and fails to actively remove existing deposits. Unfortunately, we find that diesel vehicles that solely use premium diesel fuels continue to accumulate deposits. Not so much in the fuel system, but in the combustion area, emission components (EGR, DPF), and intake manifold, intake valves, etc. Using a premium diesel will undoubtedly delay the formation of carbon deposits in these areas. But don’t expect miracles in regards to cleaning performance. The increased bio-diesel percentage contributes to an increase in fuel system contamination, biological degradation, and carbon build-up. Unfortunately, current fuels do not do enough to address these issues.
Please note, in the manufacturers’ defence, there are regulatory considerations, such as the outdated BS EN590 specification, that control what additives can be included in fuel. But those regulations are irrelevant to whether premium diesel, as it is made today, is a good value for the price you pay at the pump.
So if premium fuel isn’t worth the extra cost and standard diesel is lacking, what should you do? We suggest adding a high-quality diesel fuel conditioner with combustion catalyst technology to standard diesel fuel. Doing this will generally create a fuel that will outperform a premium diesel and be more cost effective, per tank. We have substantial testimony, as well as research data, that supports this. More complete fuel conditioners contain effective technologies to proactively clean and remove existing deposits, lubricate the diesel pump, remove water, prevent fuel degradation or contamination, lower emissions, improve performance, increase MPG, and so on.
It is simply a case of weighing the benefits of premium diesel versus the additional benefits of a fuel conditioner, while also considering convenience and cost."

My bold underline - their suggestion is what I do.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline Grant

Fuel.........?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 15:49:45 »
I am somewhat surprised you were advised to go diesel on 4000 miles a year - especially given the short drive brief. Short drives are what kills the DPF and no, technology has NOT fixed this - if anything it's the emissions tech that is causing the problem.

Having said this, if you wanted an Auto your choices were limited so I can understand the diesel choice.

What Ruperts Trooper said above basically. I would be adding a fuel conditioner every other tankful, or a low dose in every tank and I would ensure at least once a month you get up on the motorway and give the car a good 40min - 1 hr of high speed running to ensure the DPF gets hot and can enter regeneration mode.

Personally I rate Forte and Wynns as both decent products that won't cause harm. I would use them liberally and do ensure you give the engine a good workout at least once a month. The temperature gauge needs to be hot, then you need to give the car a really good blast otherwise you risk clogged DPF and other issues.
Working for a Hyundai Dealer - hope that\'s allowed here - so will try and help anyone I can with questions on New or Used Hyundai cars.

Offline Jon

Fuel.........?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 22:51:22 »
Given your low annual mileage premium fuels such as Shell V power or BP Ultimate won't add much to your annual fuel costs. They may burn a little cleaner and reduce soot on the EGR valve and blocking of the DPF with soot.

Go regularly for a long fast drive to allow a full regeneration of the filters. If you get any problems try the Forte DPF cleaner fuel additive.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline I30Sean

Fuel.........?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:48:05 »
We had two Diesels (Just changed one to a Petrol) and only use V power fuel wherever possible. The both cars run 100% better on this and my daughter puts V power in her i20 petrol. The cars can be put in lower gears earlier don't chug and run smother, plus you do notice a higher miles per gallon given the same fuels. For the extra £5 a tank I feel it's worth it. If you bought a £20 plus car does a £5 make that much difference  :D
i30Sean
i30T GDI Turbo Black (2016) and Tuscon T-GDI 1.6 48V Premium In White (2021) Plus i20 Active (2013) Plus i10SE (2017)

Offline Ruperts Trooper

Fuel.........?
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 08:30:38 »
Quote from: I30Sean
If you bought a £20 plus car does a £5 make that much difference  :D
i30Sean
Yes - if it didn't make a difference you'd probably have bought a £25,000 car.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK