Wheels and tyres for i30

• 4 Replies

Offline woodlaner

Wheels and tyres for i30
« on: March 28, 2018, 14:08:45 »
Hello all,
I am a new member and wondered if anyone can help with info. I have just bought a 66plate i30 1.4se with 16" wheels and 205/55/16 tyres. On my last car I always had winter wheels and tyres. They will not fit the i30 so I will have to get rid. My question is can I fit 15" wheels with 195/65/15 winter tyres on. My dealer says not, he says it will affect the abs, esp and steering. I find this strange because the i301.4s is fitted with 15" steel wheels. They are basically the same car, the SE just has a few extra bits.
Many thanks for any advice

Offline Jon

Wheels and tyres for i30
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 20:28:38 »
Approved wheel sizes will either be on the door pillar sticker or in the manual. If a different version of the same car has 15s I’d expect they are.
Assuming the 15s are an approved fit (here also says they should be -http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Hyundai/i30%20(2012%20-%20).html ) then no problem. The dealer is incorrect.  No impact on ESP, ABS, speedo readings as the diameters are almost identical, within 0.4%

Just watch out with the nuts, you might need different ones if moving from alloys to steels and back. Think about your TPMS. Do you have pressure sensors in the wheels and a pressure readout in the car? Or is it just a warning based on mismatched tyre rotation speeds when driving straight. The latter is no problem.

I’m using winter approved all season tyres all year now - Vredestein Quatrac on my Santa Fe. They are as good as almost every winter tyre in snow and ice (fully tested by me in the Alps) , better on mild winter days and at season changeover, and only a small compromise compared to summer tyres in summer.  Google all season tyre test for more brands.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline woodlaner

Wheels and tyres for i30
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 18:29:31 »
Thanks Trustmeimapilot for your help. I will most probably be getting a set of alloys with winter tyres on. My wheels do have tpms sensors in the wheels. I might buy the wheels with tyres and sensors already fitted from My tyres (online). One of the reasons I want another set of wheels is because the ones fitted are highly polished, I think they are diamond cut and I feel they could soon look pretty poor after a winter or two. If my car had ordinary alloys I would consider going down the all seasons tyre route. Thank you again.

Offline Jon

Wheels and tyres for i30
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 23:22:15 »
Many Santa fe owners and myself have had refurbished alloys to replace corroded ones under warranty.

Mytyres are pretty good for wheel and tyre packages.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline woodlaner

Wheels and tyres for i30
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 19:13:43 »
I have looked at the wheel/tyre packages at Mytyres they do look good value. They supply them with tpms sensors already fitted. Do you know if I  would have to have them paired to the car at the dealers?