Put deposit on ix35,now clutch getting replaced.Should i be concerned?

• 3 Replies

Offline ch1984

Hi there,

I put a deposit on an ix35 its a 2013 4WD Premium with 2.0L Diesel Engine for €11,9000.

It has 105,000 miles on the clock. It's being sold through an Independent Dealer where it will come with a 3 month Warranty, also 2 years NCT.

My concern is whether to see the Clutch kit being replaced as positive thing or negative. Granted it'll be done at no cost to me but in my head i'm thinking of what else could be wrong with it?!

I took it for a test drive in rush hour traffic which means i was stopped or creeping along as opposed to actually testing it. I did find that when i got to put my foot down for a few seconds it revved but didn't really pick up speed (at the time i thought it was because i wasn't used to a 2.0L diesel or the bite on the car, i mentioned it to sales rep and he said it's probably just feels different but today he informed me that clutched needed to be replaced so i was right in my thinking the revving odd..

Basically i don't know whether to walk away and lose my €300 deposit or should i just go for it and anything that crops up will be fixed within 3 month warranty or for the NCT?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 19:26:29 »
3 month warranty is useless - it's a legal minimum and no better than without a warranty as the Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives as much protection.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:42:13 »
£12k for a 5 year old car with over 100k on the clock seems a trifle expensive, quick check says under £10K for mileages in the middle 80K's for that year. Remember the manufactures warranty has run out and depending how the dealer dealt with the warranty claims in the last year it could have a load of problems, burnt out clutch it was punted out by a main dealer as not worth the trouble.
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:51:44 »
Quote from: dartman
£12k for a 5 year old car with over 100k on the clock seems a trifle expensive, quick check says under £10K for mileages in the middle 80K's for that year. Remember the manufactures warranty has run out and depending how the dealer dealt with the warranty claims in the last year it could have a load of problems, burnt out clutch it was punted out by a main dealer as not worth the trouble.

11,900 Euros is about 10,600 Pounds sterling. Assuming it's in Ireland from the reference to NCT, used prices are higher than the UK anyway.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK