Ionic Insurance - Getting old sucks.

• 1 Replies

Offline Trout

« on: July 24, 2019, 21:56:21 »
I'll be 89 on my birthday. One other disadvantage you'll find when you become mature like me is insurers want to avoid you. From offering premiums that exceed those of a 17year old to refusing to insure altogether. Despite all my experience of driving and not having to make a claim in the past 25 years ( even then it was down to a sheep with no road sense ) the insurance industry is your worst friend.

Just over two years ago I bought a Tucson 1.7tdi Premium SE. There are only a few insurers who offer reasonables deals and it cost me £450 last year. However I fancied a change and bought an Ioniq earlier this year. Renewal - £570? Would have expected the smaller car to be the same or cheaper to insure, apparently not.

So thinking it's my age I entered the details of my old car and systems returned with a quote of £450 !!!  So it's not me that's the problem but the car I drive. Has anyone else found the insurance premiums of hybrid cars are so much more expensive?

I tried Hyundai insurance ( I'm sure they're only the front for a broker ), they wanted £830. But if that's not insulting enough, they say they won't insure over 90 year olds. I wonder if Hyundai salesman tell 90 year olds they won't sell them a car?

The worst offender for insurance was LV. They quoted me £479 if I drove a Tucson 1.7tdi Premuim SE, but quoted £810 for an Ioniq Premium SE.   :o

Why are Hybrids so much more expensive to insure?

Not sure how much longer I'm going to be driving but a word of doom and gloom to everyone when hybrid / EV or whatever new technology appears - be prepared to pay more to insure it.

Online Shambles

• Admin
    • https://www.i30ownersclub.com
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 11:34:25 »
I'm 60 and my Ioniq HEV cost me £244 last year but £680 to renew. Then again, I did cause the front to get removed by a wagon last year  :|

If it weren't for the claim, I'd be upset if my premiums had risen mto more than, say, £260
2008 i30 Premium CRDi manual.
2014 i30 Style Nav CRDi 128ps manual.
2017 Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid.

Join us at the i30 Owners Club