So.. pre delivery appt

• 6 Replies

Offline ffiscool

So.. pre delivery appt
« on: July 14, 2017, 15:44:15 »
So, I rang the dealer today, re my new car,as not heard anything for a week.  He said the car is there and we now need to sort a pre delivery appointment.  I asked what that was as this dealer is not local to me, and I bought my current car from them without going to them either.

He said that I have to go there to see the car, as because it would then be a distance sale, if I don't, I could send the car back within 12 months if something is not right.

I said I have never done that before and don't intend to now.. I cannot go in the week, as I work full time and I have a sick parent, so the earliest Saturday IF I choose to go there, is not for another 3 weeks.

But surely, if there is something wrong with the car, as in damage to the outside, I would not accept it anyway.  If there is a mechanical issue that occurs it would go to the local dealer for repair under warranty.

They are happy to deliver the car, as they are taking mine in part exchange, so why can this PDA not happen then.

I am awaiting a call back after the guy speaks to his manager.

My last however many cars have been distance sales (including this dealer).

Nothing to say that if I go to do this there, that when they deliver it, something hasn't happened en route anyway and same goes for my car.

I said I would not have dealt with them and would have gone locally, if I had known about this.
ix20 Premium Nav auto, silver

Offline Ruperts Trooper

So.. pre delivery appt
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 16:45:16 »
It's BS - I bought the Touareg through an online broker ordered through a dealer some distance - all the paperwork was done electronically with document scans attached to emails, including the paperwork covering the fact that it WAS a distance sale.

The car never went near the dealer, it was PDI'd (badly) at their multi-brand vehicle preparation depot and delivered direct to my home on a flat-bed truck.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline ffiscool

So.. pre delivery appt
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 23:50:24 »
The car I do believe is at the dealer but I am not going there.

Yes BS, although not sure why - he said they would deliver

I will ring again and speak to the manager if need be

Offline ffiscool

So.. pre delivery appt
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 20:39:46 »
Ok. New paperwork showing distance sale and I don't have to go there!

Offline Grant

So.. pre delivery appt
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 18:33:23 »
Technically not BS at all.

If something is a "Distance Sale" then different rules apply under sale of goods act as amended by Sale and Supply of Goods act 1994.

So if you sign to accept the car on trade premises once you accept the car then it's accepted. Any problems are then warranty problems.... But you can't just choose to return it because you've changed your mind.

If you sign for the car away from trade premises, you have 14 days to return the goods flor any reason even if there is not a fault.
This is designed for internet sales and so on - however with a car there is a problem because if you return it it's no longer new and the dealer has a big problem on their hands....

Usually we have to get round it somehow - the best way is to hand it over at a local dealer on trade premises - if you do that, then it's no longer a distance sale and is covered under the usual terms.
Working for a Hyundai Dealer - hope that\'s allowed here - so will try and help anyone I can with questions on New or Used Hyundai cars.

Offline ffiscool

So.. pre delivery appt
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 20:03:10 »
Yes, it has changed I believe in the last 2 years.

Now just the stupid lack of a decent hands free unit

Offline Ruperts Trooper

So.. pre delivery appt
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 20:12:24 »
Quote from: GrantHyundai
Technically not BS at all.

If something is a "Distance Sale" then different rules apply under sale of goods act as amended by Sale and Supply of Goods act 1994.

So if you sign to accept the car on trade premises once you accept the car then it's accepted. Any problems are then warranty problems.... But you can't just choose to return it because you've changed your mind.

If you sign for the car away from trade premises, you have 14 days to return the goods flor any reason even if there is not a fault.
This is designed for internet sales and so on - however with a car there is a problem because if you return it it's no longer new and the dealer has a big problem on their hands....

Usually we have to get round it somehow - the best way is to hand it over at a local dealer on trade premises - if you do that, then it's no longer a distance sale and is covered under the usual terms.
Distance Sales legislation covers all transactions at arms length, not just those via the internet.

The dealer avoids the obligations of Distance Sales  but is happy to take the revenue from it - that is BS in the sense that good dealers don't try to escape the extra obligations.

If other brands and other dealers cope with the extra obligations of Distance Sales - why does any Hyundai dealer need to avoid them?
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK