Car damaged when in for repair

• 22 Replies

Offline tamtoot

Car damaged when in for repair
« on: November 15, 2019, 17:22:29 »
Good day,

While in for new brake pads today, my Hyundai Tucson suffered a collision inside the workshop. Fair bit of damage done and they have accepted liability. It is a reputable company. Their assessor will view the car next week.  Do I have to involve my insurer (Churchill) ?

Thanks for any advice.

Tamtoot

Offline KONA

Re: Car damaged when in for repair
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 17:24:17 »
I would say no as you were not at the wheel when they damaged the car and they are fixing the damage they caused.

Offline tamtoot

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 11:10:07 »
Good day Kona,
Thanks for your kind response to my query.
I had a look through my car insurers policy document which states that I must advise them, before any renewal of my insurance, of any accident 'Regardless of blame'
I have done this. They were very understanding and recorded the incident details. They have confirmed that as I am just reporting the accident and am not making a claim, I would not be liable for any loss of no-claims or surcharge. If I was not satisfied with the outcome of the repairs etc, their legal department would then act on my behalf. They provided a reference number for any future communication with them on this incident.
I will obviously advise the Garage's insurance assessor that I have contacted my insurer.
Hopefully it will now proceed OK.
Regards,
Tamtoot

Online Shambles

• Admin
    • https://www.i30ownersclub.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 12:53:05 »
I would hope the liable garage are supplying a courtesy car?
2008 i30 Premium CRDi manual.
2014 i30 Style Nav CRDi 128ps manual.
2017 Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid.

Join us at the i30 Owners Club

Offline KONA

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 18:32:24 »
I must advise them, before any renewal of my insurance, of any accident 'Regardless of blame'

Sorry for being the forum pedant but -

You are insured to drive your car so if you are involved in an accident whether it was your fault or not then you have to inform the insurance company but you were not driving therefore you have no need to inform your insurance as they are not dealing with the claim and it cannot effect your no claims bonus.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 18:34:21 by KONA »

Offline Bluetaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 19:26:35 »
Hi
I think your renewal premium might rise too regardless of blame. That's my understanding anyway from friends who have been in a similar situation.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 19:29:25 by Bluetaurus »
Hyundai Tucson N Line 1.6 T-GDi 177Ps DCT
Shadow grey

Offline KONA

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 13:35:59 »
Sorry but this is  nonsense for the reasons i have given above.

Offline egg

• 2021 N Lines S
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 21:38:02 »
Sorry but it's not nonsense. You tell an insurance company about an accident regardless of blame and your premium will most likely go up. Your no claims if protected shouldn't be affected. I know this from personnel experience and from friends. 1 even had his merc trashed by a drive through car wash. Garage accepted blame. He got his insurance to sort out the non blame claim and whack. Sky high premium. Another got side swiped by a car and caravan. Other driver got his insurance to sort everything for my mate. 1 company told the other and whack. Sky high premium. My own car was hit whilst parked by a bus. I wasn't even near the car at the time. I had to get my insurance involved as the bus company tried to deny it even though I had witnesses. I won the non blame case. Whack. Sky high premium. Always got the option of changing on renewal but they all ask if you've been involved in an accident fault or non fault. Once you tell a company of an accident you have to tell every company for the next 5 years normally.   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 21:44:03 by egg »
2021 N Line S

Offline paully

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 11:51:10 »
Quite agree with Egg..Informing them of something that is non of their business always gives them an opportunity to raise premiums...AKA legalised racketeering. Years ago my car was damaged by a lorry whilst parked unattended. I took it up directly with the lorry`s insurers who sorted everything out and got it repaired, not without hassle I may add.But I saw no need to inform my Insurers who had no interest/liability in the claim whatsoever.

I would do the same again next time as well

Offline KONA

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 12:21:51 »
Well if people are stupid enough to let them get away with it they deserve to be screwed, if my insurance tried this on in the same situation i would contact the insurance ombudsman and get advice -
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/insurance

Offline Bluetaurus

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 12:29:00 »
Heres a brief explanation as to why it may affect premiums

Does declaring a non-fault claim affect my insurance?
Unfortunately, yes. In many cases, your premiums will go up after you’ve declared a non-fault claim to your insurance provider. This is because certain circumstances surrounding the accident, even if it wasn’t your fault, may lead to more accidents in the future.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:30:37 by Bluetaurus »
Shadow grey

Offline Bluetaurus

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 12:36:14 »
It's wrong of course but is written into most policies

Do I need to declare a non-fault claim?
Yes, you need to declare all accidents that you're involved in, regardless of who, or what, was at fault.

Pretty much all insurance providers will have a clause in their policy requiring you to declare any incidences you're involved in while driving in the past 5 years. If you don't report something and your insurance provider finds out about it later, they could invalidate your policy.
Shadow grey

Offline KONA

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 14:17:26 »
"Unfortunately, yes. In many cases, your premiums will go up after you’ve declared a non-fault claim to your insurance provider"

I read a non fault claim as meaning you were driving but not at fault therefore it is not the same as your car being damaged by someone else when you were not in the car.

"Pretty much all insurance providers will have a clause in their policy requiring you to declare any incidences you're involved in while driving in the past 5 years"

Again you miss the point its not "incidences you're involved in" as you are not involved!

Offline KONA

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 14:58:27 »
I have contacted Hastings customer support (CS) online and the answers to my questions are below,  you do have to inform them but you will not be penalised.

Me - Hi, if my car was in a car wash and was damaged by one of the workers when i was not there and they said they would repair the car do i need to inform my insurance?

CS - Yes, you would need to notify us even if you don't intend to make a claim.

Me - will this alter my no claims bonus or make my insurance more expensive as i was not at fault and i have not claimed?

CS - You would need to call to query further. If it's for notification only then your no claims won't be affected.

Offline Bluetaurus

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 16:37:34 »
I notice they have replied as your no claims wont be affected, but no mention of increased renewal premium.  I guess you will find out when renewal is due. Do post back here as a point of interest.
Shadow grey