Hyundai i10 - Main dealer servicing or not?

• 5 Replies

Offline Sab

Hyundai i10 - Main dealer servicing or not?
« on: December 05, 2020, 08:22:26 »
Apologies if these are common sense questions - I'm new to car ownership and maintenance, so I'm still trying to get to grips with the basics.

Last January I bought a 2018 plate 1.2l i10 from my (at the time) local Hyundai main dealer.

I was told that it had the remainder of the 5 year warranty and a full service history.

I was relocating at the time and when the car was delivered to me along with all of its documents it became clear that these services had not been carried out by Hyundai and that the car had previously been a rental vehicle with Enterprise.

I have kept the car as I haven't had any issues with it and didn't want the hassle of returning it to a dealership at the other end of the country.

It has had the following services:

- 1 year service with an independent garage: July 2018 at 9,700 miles

- 2 year service with an independent garage: February 2019 at 19,600 miles

- 3 year service with Hyundai, November 2019 at 29,200 miles

Presumably this means the warranty is for all intents and purposes essentially void?

Am I correct in thinking that it is now due it's 4 year service? The milage is now 32,000 - it hasn't been used much this year due to the pandemic.

Apparently the 4 year service is a major one and quite expensive via Hyundai. Is there any point in using Hyundai servicing in this case?

Offline phil48

Re: Hyundai i10 - Main dealer servicing or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 15:42:21 »
Your warranty is gone..done and dusted.. using an independent to service Hyundai and Kia cars has been a pain because unless you have documented evidence that the service schedule has been adhered to plus the independent using genuine spares then that's it.. Warranty Void.. you can try and ask them but at this stage I feel you will just get the brush off and cold shoulder..

Offline Bluetaurus

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 14:37:24 »
I would contact Hyundai customer service and  ask them about the warranty situation. If a main dealer supplied the vehicle then it should be comprehensively covered for the remainder of the 5 years. They won't sell a car that falls short of certain criteria I'm sure.

Hyundai Tucson N Line 1.6 T-GDi 177Ps DCT
Shadow grey

Offline I30Sean

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 18:32:54 »
Hi Sab,

I would play it by ear and have the car serviced at the Hyundai dealer, looking at what your mileage and service intervals the car has been correctly serviced at miles as its 10,000mls or yearly which your appears to have been done. If its a Ex hire car it will have been serviced to manufacturers standard. I bought my daughters car i20 from an ex rental and it was serviced and have never had any issues. If it needed warranty it for Hyundai HQ to ask the question of service history not the dealer requesting the warranty work, if its a small warranty claim Hyundai will not even ask i.e. wheel bearing or something similar, should it be an engine ir gearbox then that would be different and could be more challenging, but having a relationship with a main dealer will really help.
The service should not be hugely expensive and at 32K its very low mileage so unlikely to need anything major.
Keep us updated good luck.

i30Sean
i30T GDI Turbo Black (2016) and Tuscon T-GDI 1.6 48V Premium In White (2021) Plus i20 Active (2013) Plus i10SE (2017)

Offline Jon

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 09:18:51 »
If it was an approved used car from a Hyundai dealer it should have had at least 18 months warranty, and possibly warranty to its 5th birthday.
https://used.hyundai.co.uk/approved

If you book on line you get to see in advance the cost of the service required. From 5 years old you could  use the eSensetials servicing option, as it’s good value.
https://www.hyundai.co.uk/owning/book-a-service
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline paully

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 11:01:41 »
I echo the views above re building a relationship with a dealer. I bought an i40 from a main dealer, who I wouldn`t deal with again. The car was ex lease (arval) and had its first service at Halfords. The supplying dealer (with multiple Hyundai Franchises) had serviced it but out of sequence and between services and tried to pass it off  as OK.
  The dealer I started using explained that Hyundai allow the servicing to be brought back into line in circumstances like this by using franchised dealers. If you don`t then to all intents and purposes its null and void. I also find, if you have a relationship , they are open to haggling on service prices as they want to keep your business. I`ve always used dealer servicing for different makes I`ve had and its always worked for me.