Hourly garage rates

• 3 Replies

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
Hourly garage rates
« on: August 10, 2021, 10:27:30 »
Was having a discussion with a friend re the above and we came to the conclusion that hyundai dealer rates have increased way in excess of indy rates in the past year.

This was based on a report my friend had received for work they were advising on from the health check while his car was in for its annual service.

Needless to say the car hasn't been booked in as he wished to see for himself what they were advising.

Was just wondering what others think the rates are at hyundai dealers compared to say using their local indy.
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong

Offline egg

• 2021 N Lines S
Re: Hourly garage rates
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 08:40:18 »
I got my daughters i10 serviced by a local garage last year who I've used regularly over the years. It was about £120 cheaper. It was the big service gearbox oil etc. However she didn't get the brake down cover for the following year or a courtesy car for the day. Went back to Hyundai for the next 1 as he was only a few quid cheaper and she got break down for a year and a courtesy car.

I've had brakes discs and pads changed by my local which was a lot cheaper than Hyundai.

I suppose it comes down to how old the car is and what your plans are with the car.

The difference in price with servicing is small once break down and courtesy car is taken into account. If you can take out a service plan I think it's a no brainer to go to Hyundai but that's just me.

2021 N Line S

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 09:36:05 »
Cheers for your rey.

Spoken to friend and decided to leave for now as advised:
2 tyres 3.5mm tread left (isn't legal limit 1.6mm!) and
disc pads on rear 60% worn.
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong

Offline WAFU

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 15:00:03 »
Now my car has passed the 5 year warranty timeframe and with no intention of replacing it, I took out a 3 year service plan covering 2 x major + 1 x minor and 2 x MOT's.  As mentioned in the above posts, with the breakdown cover and small charge for a courtesy car was a no brainer.  Will be interesting to see what the additional charges are for any work required, not covered by the relevant service schedule, as the timing belt will be due during the 3 year plan I took out.

Eye30 - yes the legal limit is 1.6mm for tyres.  Both national and many independant tyre dealerships would advise to have tyres replaced when they are down to 3mm tread depth left.  Well they would wouldn't they.

As for the brake pads, depends on what interval they got to the 60% worn mark.  The rear pads on mine are just over 30% worn and the front ones 40% worn.  This is from new 5 years ago with 33,000 miles on the clock.  With the brakes it's not just the pad wear you need to take in to account but also the wear on the brake disc as well.  You also need to bear in mind the mileage you're likely to cover in-between the service check to make sure the pads won't be excessively worn in the meantime.

Stay safe and well.  Happy motoring!