Info relating to the Theta engine..

• 4 Replies

Offline phil48

Info relating to the Theta engine..
« on: October 14, 2021, 12:29:18 »

This guy is a Master tech and speaks freely about the problems experienced with the Theta engine..

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/former-hyundai-tech-speaks-about-theta-engine-failures.682694/

A number of Uk cars are fitted with it..

Hyundai i30, Hyundai ix35, Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Sonata, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Kia Forte, Kia Optima, Kia Rondo, Kia Sorento, Kia Sportage, Kia Stinger, Kia Cerato, Genesis G70

Offline Shambles

• Admin
    • https://www.i30ownersclub.com
Re: Info relating to the Theta engine..
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 19:17:32 »
Great post, Phil
2008 i30 Premium CRDi manual.
2014 i30 Style Nav CRDi 128ps manual.
2017 Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid.

Join us at the i30 Owners Club

Offline phil48

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 11:12:30 »
Sorry for the late reply Shambles.. I have flu.. that guy is so knowledgeable and gave a full insight of the problems surrounding the Theta engine..

I also found info regarding the ticking on cold start with the gamma engines.. [louder in winter ] it was a strip down on the 1.6 Gdi engine and was due to low oil pressure when hot.. strip down showed that the oil pressure relief valve was stuck partly open and there was swarf present.. hence the low oil pressure.. so I thought to my self if the relief valve is stuck this must also account for low oil pressure at cold start and the oil pump not delivering adequate oil to the top end and camshafts in general [ pressure leak ].. I have seen many posts over the years about this top end ticking on the gamma engines and I think this could well be the problem here.. good thing though is when the strip down was done the engine was good in other respects..

Offline phil48

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 10:52:21 »
Sorry for the late reply Shambles.. I have flu.. that guy is so knowledgeable and gave a full insight of the problems surrounding the Theta engine..

I also found info regarding the ticking on cold start with the gamma engines.. [louder in winter ] it was a strip down on the 1.6 Gdi engine and was due to low oil pressure when hot.. strip down showed that the oil pressure relief valve was stuck partly open and there was swarf present.. hence the low oil pressure.. so I thought to my self if the relief valve is stuck this must also account for low oil pressure at cold start and the oil pump not delivering adequate oil to the top end and camshafts in general [ pressure leak ].. I have seen many posts over the years about this top end ticking on the gamma engines and I think this could well be the problem here.. good thing though is when the strip down was done the engine was good in other respects..

Forget to add a link on this 16 gamma engine oil pressure problem..

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/2015-1-6l-low-oil-pressure-when-hot.660450/

Offline Pablo Hewitt

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 23:14:24 »
Wow, that's interesting.