Exploding panoramic sunroof

• 25 Replies

Offline SNAKEBITE

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 16:52:37 »
I'm a tubster, I'd get wedged in the hole.

Offline sussexowner

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 10:56:43 »
This has just happened to me. Just driving along and without warning or any impact from a stone etc, the roof shattered.

Hyundai Guildford is refusing to repair under warranty. Has anyone had experience with claiming under warranty for this? I plan to take this to the small claims court under the Consumer Rights Act.

Offline Frostyballs

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 11:35:09 »
Vehicle glass can shatter a while after an impact - doesn't have to shatter straight away. An example was when we were in a Honda Civic in a line of traffic - a council contractor was cutting grass at the side of the road and the mower threw up a stone which hit the passenger side window. Fully five minutes later, and several hundred yards away from the worker, the glass shattered.
So unless there is a manufacturing defect, it probably won't be covered under warranty. Have you checked the glass replacement clause of your insurance? Be aware that not all policies cover glass roofs.

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 11:39:02 »
Sunroofs are of toughened glass as it is more flexible, their main problem is when shattering the glass debris is razor sharp and and will cause life changing injuries when they hit the face at speed, hence laminated front screens and some side windows, the toughened screen is why Lulu doesn't need plastic surgery like other stars of her age, hers was done in I think her 20's when she head butted a screen in a accident.
Most sunroofs explode due to contaminants in the glass during manufacture, glass being a liquid they can move until they touch the toughened skin, then bang :(
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 18:23:50 »
AFAIK, glass is excluded under the Hyundai warranty unless the fault is present at original delivery.

If the car is over 6 months old, it'll be down to the owner to PROVE that the fault existed at time of manufacture - I suggest that's impossible to prove.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline sussexowner

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 21:23:34 »
OK - thanks for the advice guys. I will take this to Hyundai and see if we can rach some agreement.

Offline Dennis Jones

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 11:38:26 »
Happened to a friend of mine in a Range Rover Vogue. Car was only 3 weeks old, Land Rover didn't want to know and his insurance only covered side, rear and front windows. Cost him two and half grand in the end. Advice to prospective buyers, stay away from panoramic roofs.

DJ.
Santa Fe 2018 2.2 ltr crdi 4wd auto Blue Drive, 5 seats, black towing Lunar Quasar 574.
Other Car :- GCS Hawke 3.5 ltr V8 Kitcar - Morgan lookalike built by me in 2000.

Offline Jon

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 22:25:11 »
My Aviva policy covers all glass including the sunroof and consequential damage to the car caused by breaking glass
£75 excess but No Claims History is unaffected by glass claims.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline Frostyballs

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 17:59:09 »
"£75 excess but No Claims History is unaffected by glass claims."

.... which doesn't necessarily mean the premium won't be affected.

Offline Jenaphina

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 23:13:40 »
This just happened to me today! 70mph on a dual carriageway, sound like a gunshot and the glass sunroof imploded on top of me. Rather upset to read on here that it's not always covered on the 5 year warranty. The car - ix20- is just over 2 years old (July). Am waiting for the dealer to call me tomorrow morning. Haven't called my insurance company yet as I'm still hoping the dealer will cover it.

Offline ffiscool

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 16:36:23 »
very scary, did you have the shade drawn, so no glass on you, I hope?
ix20 Premium Nav auto, silver