UK to Europe Headlights

• 27 Replies

Offline Ray Ashton

UK to Europe Headlights
« on: August 05, 2015, 15:22:35 »
Hi folks, hope I find everyone well.
I'm still enjoying my Santa Fe!  Great car. Tows the c'van like a dream.
In a few weeks time I'm going to be taking my Santa Fe to Spain.  I need to adjust the headlights to be correct for driving on the "wrong" side of the road.  Can anyone tell me how to do this please? Or should I get a dealer to do it?
Santa Fe Style 2010
Many thanks
Ray

Offline Ray Ashton

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 18:22:23 »
Another Lights Question.

Going to Europe I need to carry a spare bulb kit.  Can anyone tell me if this set is correct for my Santa Fe Style 2010 ?
http://my-car-bulbs.co.uk/KH7C8M-european-spare-bulb-kit

Many Thanks
Ray

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:18:18 »
Depends on year some need deflectors, may be all don't know about the latest models
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline Ruperts Trooper

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 09:41:57 »
Quote from: dartman
Depends on year some need deflectors, may be all don't know about the latest models
The 2010-2012 models do need deflectors as the nearside cut-off is angled upwards - I believe the later 2013-on model is a flat cut-off with a step so just need to be lowered - perhaps Noosantafe can clarify.

If the OP looks at the headlamp cover closely, both dip and main have a small 1-2mm ring moulded in the centre of each beam - use the outer of those marks, in front of dip beam, to position the corner of the deflector - main beam doesn't need deflecting of course.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline noosantafe

• Global Moderator
UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:19:05 »
The 2013 model doesn't need deflectors.

Select user settings by pressing the "mode button" on the steering wheel.

Select "Lamp" by pressing the move button "down" and "select button" on the steering wheel.

This puts you in travel mode, this can be checked by pressing the same two buttons.

The Instructions for this is on page 4/24 in the manual.  :P  :P

Gazza!!!
My tombstone will say \"Idle git never cleaned his car\"
Tuscon N-line Hybrid polo white Tucson N-line fiery red my daughters.

Offline Jon

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 00:21:37 »
The 2010 car just needs stick on deflectors. You'll be able to get them at any motoring shop, if the ones you get don't specify which cars they fit choose generic ones for projector headlights. As RT says, there's a small circle on the headlight to help you fit them, and make sure you get the dipped, not main headlight. I found it easiest to do in the dark with the lights on facing my garage door so I could see the beam.

You'll need a warning triangle, hi vis vests, GB sticker or EU tagged number plate etc too. A spare headlight bulb (type H7), fire extinguisher and first aid kit aren't compulsory. Check AA/RAC/Brittany Ferries for details.

The ferry to Spain is a great way to travel, I did it last year, enjoy the trip. The 'posh' restaurant at the back of the boat is great for dinner and for breakfast. Entertainment on board is usually excellent too.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline Dennis Jones

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:17:53 »
You also need breathaliser kit as well.

DJ.
Santa Fe 2018 2.2 ltr crdi 4wd auto Blue Drive, 5 seats, black towing Lunar Quasar 574.
Other Car :- GCS Hawke 3.5 ltr V8 Kitcar - Morgan lookalike built by me in 2000.

Offline tonyw

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 13:36:15 »
I believe that the breathalyzer kit is not a mandatory requirement but it certainly would be a good idea to have them.  Don't forget that the hi viz jackets need to be INSIDE the car not in the boot!!!
2017 SF premium 5 seat towing Coachman Wanderer 15/2

Offline Ruperts Trooper

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 14:02:53 »
The breathalyzer kit was going to be mandatory in France but the legislation got deferred.

Offline n1ck

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:31:44 »
The blow in the bag kit isn't a legal requirement BUT if you don't have one when stopped, french police will use their's and you get a bill for €11.00

Interesting to see that a number of french laws changed on 1 July 15 too.  Worth a read if your travelling to or through France.

I have also heard that the GB number plates 'could' soon be defunct in France, they have a law being debated that relates to the size of another countries rear identification badge.  If passed we'll need to go back to the old GB sticker as the number plate sign won't comply

Offline Ruperts Trooper

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:26:52 »
The French breathalyser law has been on/off/deferred for a while.

The GB id on number plates complies with EU regulations which should be common - but the French have always added their own on top - just to be awkward as most of the French won't comply.

Offline Dennis Jones

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 10:56:00 »
I wonder how many French and Foreign drivers change their headlights over when they come to the UK. It used to be said that because they used amber bulbs they didn't need to but now all bulbs are white.

DJ.
Santa Fe 2018 2.2 ltr crdi 4wd auto Blue Drive, 5 seats, black towing Lunar Quasar 574.
Other Car :- GCS Hawke 3.5 ltr V8 Kitcar - Morgan lookalike built by me in 2000.

Offline Raybo

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 19:41:32 »
Quote from: tonyw
I believe that the breathalyzer kit is not a mandatory requirement but it certainly would be a good idea to have them.  Don't forget that the hi viz jackets need to be INSIDE the car not in the boot!!!

Hi Guys, I have just joined the forum so forgive me if I am doing things wrong.

I have just purchased a 64 plate i30 1.4 Active registered Jan 2015, the headlight glass is plain with no deflector ridges if you know what I mean. I too am over the channel in 2 weeks so will have to sort my headlight beam out.
Do I have to adjust the beam mechanically or just buy the stick on deflectors.

Some help on what to do would be great as I am a pensioner on a budget so want to avoid a trip to the dealership if possible.

The hi-viz jacket draped over the seat is usually seen by French and Spanish police as someone who is prepared to follow legislation and they normally leave you alone unless they see a problem with your driving or vehicle.
i30 1.4 Active owner

Offline RAY

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 14:37:32 »
I have a 2014 Santa Fe Premium SE and the handbook does indeed give instructions on how to change the headlights from left to right hand driving but this does not work.  I have spoken to Hyundai and they confirmed that the system does not operate. As I spend most of my time in Europe so I would like this feature but it would appear not to function. If there is a way that it could be made to operate I would love to know.

Ray

Offline neelsmith

• http://www.argylestreetfamilydentist.com.au/
UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 05:02:26 »
I also want to transfer bulb kit from Europe to UK.