UK to Europe Headlights

• 27 Replies

Offline Gav28

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:02:18 »
@loronze24 The 2014 Santa Fe Premium SE doesn't need headlight adjustment when travelling in Europe. I queried this last year with Hyundai, and also the entry in the user manual that stated there was an option to adjust headlights this is the answer I received:-

"
In reference to your query regarding your Hyundai Santa Fe headlights. I can now provide you with the relevant information relating to the traffic change feature detailed in your vehicle hand book.

The traffic change feature applies to vehicles that are fitted with the AFLS (adaptive front lighting system). AFLS is not fitted to the UK Santa Fe, so any features relating to AFLS in your manual will not be applicable.

Your hand book for your Santa Fe is a generic one, so may contain features and systems that will not be relevant to your car. There is a disclaimer on the 3rd page to indicate this.

If I can be of nay further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
"

I then queried how we are meant to adjust the headlights then, and received the following:-

"Thank you for your reply to my email regarding your headlights on your Santa Fe.

I can confirm that your headlights are Xenon, which means they have a flat beam pattern. This will alleviate the need to make any adjustments for continental use.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
"

So for the 2014 Santa Fe Premium SE there is nothing to do :-)  I certainly haven't been flashed due to headlight issues during the previous 4 visits to Europe.

I hope that helps?
Santa Fe Auto Premium SE 2014 - now sold :-(
Now an Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro owner

Offline older man

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:40 »
I have a 2015 Premium Santa Fe which does not have Xenon lights, just normal halogen.
I assume I'll have to deflect the beam somehow when I go to France in May, so how is this achieved ?
There are no markings on my headlight lenses to indicate where deflectors should be placed.

Offline tonyw

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 13:29:20 »
If you purchase a set of deflector patches there are usually detailed positioning instructions included.
2017 SF premium 5 seat towing Coachman Wanderer 15/2

Offline older man

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 13:31:52 »
Thankyou tonyw. do you recommend sourcing from a dealer or generic ones from Halfords ?

Offline tonyw

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 16:05:02 »
I have always used those from Halfords.  The different shape are clearly marked and they adhere well.  Fitting instruction are clear and precise. When it comes to removing them a little adhesive may be left behind.  This can easily be removed with concentrated screen cleaner.
2017 SF premium 5 seat towing Coachman Wanderer 15/2

Offline older man

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 16:26:02 »
Quote from: tonyw
I have always used those from Halfords.  The different shape are clearly marked and they adhere well.  Fitting instruction are clear and precise. When it comes to removing them a little adhesive may be left behind.  This can easily be removed with concentrated screen cleaner.

Thankyou  :D

Offline rfa

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 17:00:16 »
Unsure about France but in Spain the Law has changed reference carrying  a spare light bulb kit.
It is no longer neccessary as they have engaged their brains a accepted that modern day cars in the main are not a DIY fix to change a bulb.

Offline Ruperts Trooper

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 07:43:17 »
Quote from: rfa
Unsure about France but in Spain the Law has changed reference carrying  a spare light bulb kit.
It is no longer neccessary as they have engaged their brains a accepted that modern day cars in the main are not a DIY fix to change a bulb.
And with the use of HID/LED headlights and LED tail-lights, an increasing number of cars simply don't use bulbs.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline Dennis Jones

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 11:11:48 »
Anybody applied for a low emission sticker for France ? I am waiting for mine to appear through the post for my trip in Sept.

DJ.
Santa Fe 2018 2.2 ltr crdi 4wd auto Blue Drive, 5 seats, black towing Lunar Quasar 574.
Other Car :- GCS Hawke 3.5 ltr V8 Kitcar - Morgan lookalike built by me in 2000.

Offline Piskoty

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:48 »
I travel to Europe once a year (drive through France/Belgium/Netherlands/Germany/Czech Republic) and I must say i can't keep up with the myriad of requirements/regulations.
I too keep a stock of hi-viz vests, breathalysers, spare-bulbs, triangle, first-aid kit, electric tyre pump, etc. but I've never seen a single foreign-registered car or truck with headlight filters attached. Our motorways carry loads of non-UK lorries, do you really think they affix such things each time they're here?
I don't think the police in each of the countries I frequent are sitting waiting for UK motorists, they're as under resourced as ours to be honest, they don't even notice because there are so many nationalities on the roads these days - all over Europe.
The instructions for fitting headlight filters are so complex and vary greatly even between cars of the same model but different years.
Germany will be introducing a new Road-Tax for their motorways, Czech Republic already has it. If you want to drive on the Motorway you have to pay for and display a new 'tax-disc', where and how you're supposed to buy that when you don't live there is beyond me unless they're going to re-introduce border controls, etc.
It's basically why we're better out off OUT of he EU until it sorts its house out properly.
(rant over)
i20 Active 1.2 5dr - Diamond Black (62 plate)

Offline Piskoty

Offline Dennis Jones

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 11:02:24 »
I had a bad experience with stick on filters with my Tucson forgetting that the headlight lens was plastic when I came to remove them it was a hell of a job to get rid of the glue and also the lens crazed behind the sticker on the inside of the glass. So i haven't bothered for the last 7 years. Just drive on fog lights if need to.

DJ.
Santa Fe 2018 2.2 ltr crdi 4wd auto Blue Drive, 5 seats, black towing Lunar Quasar 574.
Other Car :- GCS Hawke 3.5 ltr V8 Kitcar - Morgan lookalike built by me in 2000.

Offline Piskoty

UK to Europe Headlights
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 16:03:05 »
Good tip, I could never get the adhesive off my Audi headlights last year. The heat of the light had welded it to the glass somehow (not exactly a cheap set of headlight filters either!)