Paint Work and Warranty

• 7 Replies

Offline PatC

Paint Work and Warranty
« on: March 03, 2016, 19:39:45 »
I have a 3 year old i20 , bought last year and still under warranty. Just discovered some damaged paintwork around the drivers handle. Like its just chipped away. Does the warranty cover this?

Offline Frostyballs

Paint Work and Warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 14:33:41 »
Hyundai don't seem to have a separate paintwork warranty - so take the car into a Hyundai dealer for an opinion.

Offline tonyw

Paint Work and Warranty
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 18:15:29 »
I think you will find that damage to paint work is a wear and tear item unless the paint problem is due to rust from the inside out when it should be covered by warranty
2017 SF premium 5 seat towing Coachman Wanderer 15/2

Offline benlovesgoddess

Paint Work and Warranty
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 21:44:23 »
I found way more paint chips than I would have expected in a 29 month old car - 3 I've dabbed paint over, and probably another half dozen need the same. Chips in the bumper also revealed black plastic below. Just spent a weekend removing tar spots...!
Owned 2013 Hyundai i20 1.1 Crdi Bluedrive for 2 and a half years. That\'s one way to lose £9,000 in depreciation!

Offline oldtoffee

Paint Work and Warranty
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 13:19:52 »
Damage near the door handle might suggest someone with a chunky ring on their finger. I've polished many cars where the paint behind the door handle was badly marked just by the the driver's nails scraping each time they opened and closed the door. No harm in taking it to the dealer, I've found Hyundai dealers quite fair in assessing warranty work,
2011, CRDI, auto, 7 st, Premium, Stone Grey and occasional access to a 2013 1.2 i10

Forum Supporter

Offline benlovesgoddess

Paint Work and Warranty
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 06:44:44 »
On my tailgate I have 2 areas where a gold colour is appearing - under the centre brake light at the top, and below the rear window glass.
The paint here is unchipped, unbroken.
I would have to guess that rust is forming underneath the paint here, as I jet wash the car each week, and hand wash frequently too (it's not dirt!).
What is the deal with this, where do I stand? I have the autoglym treatment applied.
Owned 2013 Hyundai i20 1.1 Crdi Bluedrive for 2 and a half years. That\'s one way to lose £9,000 in depreciation!

Offline Algie42

Paint Work and Warranty
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 16:09:05 »
Hi. We have a 2009 i10 which we have owned from almost new.

When the car was 4 years old we noticed that the paint was flaking off the two front door handles leaving an off white under layer which looked like plastic. When the car went to our dealer for service they took some pictures and Hyundai agreed to repaint the handles under warranty.

Last year when the car went in for it's 6th service we pointed out that the same was happening to the OS rear door handle and the boot lid handle and although the cause was  obviously the same Hyundai refused to look at the job.

Has anyone has any similar issues as this with Hyundai paintwork?

Offline kingo800

Paint Work and Warranty
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 16:45:23 »
I have an i800 which a Hyundai approved repairer pointed out had paint bubbling. The local Dealer sent off a claim and Hyundai said it was stone chip damage!! (it wasn't), so Dealer took better pics and sent off another claim - still nothing 1 year later.

The phrase 'resting on their Laurels' comes to mind when I think of Hyundai warranty and sales/aftersales these days.........