Warranty question before buying my first (used) Hyundai

• 13 Replies

Offline HyundaiOMH

« on: September 25, 2016, 18:32:02 »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, on the verge of buying my first (used) Hyundai on a 2013 plate. Part of the appeal of Hyundai for me is the 5-year warranty so:

1. Is the warranty transferable i.e. if I buy a 2013 plate, should I be able to enjoy the balance of the warranty, and does it go by the owner's name or the vehicle registration? If anyone can explain the warranty transfer/assignment process, that would be great.

2. If I changed the car in anyway such as fitting different alloy wheels, or a leather interior from a salvage yard, professionally fitted by a main dealer, would this invalidate the warranty?

Thanks!

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 19:12:44 »
The warranty is transferrable provide the previous owner(s) have complied with the servicing regime - when we got our daughter-in-law into a used i30 we simply wrote to Hyundai UK asking for confirmation the warranty was still valid and transferred - although I'm not sure that's absolutely necessary.

Modifications never invalidate warranties, despite salesmen telling you that, PROVIDED the modification doesn't cause the fault - obviously any changed items aren't covered.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline HyundaiOMH

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 22:38:35 »
Thanks for your reply, advice and information.

Just one other thing I wondered is if Hyundai UK let owners extend the warranty when the 5 years ends, extending the same amount of cover i.e. for components and the like?

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:33:45 »
No! - I tried that with my Santa Fe as my confidence had gone after all it's issues (fixed under warranty) but unlike several other brands they wouldn't extend the factory warranty, at any price.

Offline HyundaiOMH

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:41:09 »
That's a shame. As the i40 I've got it mind has got a year left on the warranty, it makes me wonder whether that's reason enough to go for Hyundai specifically, especially if the automatic gearbox and other stuff might not be covered in the small print anyway.

It's a 62 plate car and I've just been told it's on 3 owners. Is that to frequent for such a new car? I'm feeling it is...

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 13:24:01 »
Hyundai warranty "small print" is less than most other brands - with clearly defined maximum times/distances for warranty on the wear/tear items.

It may be heresy here but check out the Kia Optima - same car underneath as the Hyundia i40 and gets a 7-year warranty limited to 100,000 miles - Hyundai is 5-years unlimited mileage.

Offline Lockman

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 14:11:57 »
Does any one know if it is possible to have a front facing parking camera ,wired to existing sat nav screen ?

Offline Lockman

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 14:19:51 »
Further to my recent question,regarding having a forward facing parking camera fitted .the car is an i40 saloon, and am hoping the existing sat nav / screen can be used rather than a separate monitor. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Piskoty

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 19:57:12 »
Quote from: Lockman
Does any one know if it is possible to have a front facing parking camera ,wired to existing sat nav screen ?

Create a new posting, this isn't relevant to the OP.
i20 Active 1.2 5dr - Diamond Black (62 plate)

Offline HyundaiOMH

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 22:18:06 »
Well, I viewed the i40 tonight and took it for a 30-minute test drive. Felt tight i.e. new, no rattles, interior in great condition, engine and gearbox smooth, alloys scuffed and budget tyres but otherwise seems a great car. Been serviced 4 times, all by the same Hyundai dealer, and passed its 2nd MoT last week with no advisories. Priced £2k below market value for a quick sale. The coolant was low, which was odd, and I'd perhaps want the wheel alignment checked due to the wheel kerbing, but am otherwise tempted. I just need to ensure that converting the interior to leather wouldn't invalidate the warranty...

Offline Piskoty

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 22:45:34 »
Check the mileage, a lot of stuff covered in the warranty under wear-and-tear seems to have 60k miles limit.

Offline Jon

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 23:23:02 »
http://www.hyundai.co.uk/misc-pages/5_year_warranty/limited_coverage

Take a read of this. It explains what is covered for 5 years unlimited miles, and what is not. This assumes it's a UK car.

I don't think you can extend Hyundai's warranty but products such as warranty-wise platinum might be suitable.http://www.warrantywise.co.uk/?source=adwords&gclid=CJH2vczKsM8CFYK77QodxvQIAg
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline Ruperts Trooper

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:22 »
Problem with most of the after-market warranties is that they exclude most of the things likely to go wrong as the exclude more than they include.

May be better to build up a fund of money kept for repairs - you may well make a profit at the end of the day (warranty companies do!)

Offline Piskoty

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 16:44:42 »
I concur regarding warranties, I also own an Audi A4 (b7) and absolutely none of the things that have gone wrong with it were covered by it's 3rd party warranty (ie. Warranty Direct). £400 a year down the drain which, yes, I would be in profit by if I'd kept the money.