Paint smell

• 7 Replies

Offline ffiscool

Paint smell
« on: October 06, 2016, 23:27:57 »
I had to have paintwork done this week after getting the side of the car caught on a low metal post

I think the car was only finished today but the smell of paint/lacquer is SO strong inside the car, giving me a headache.

I have ordered some zeolite crystals but anything else I can do in the meantime?   Have had stuff done in previous cars and never had a paint smell after.
ix20 Premium Nav auto, silver

Offline ffiscool

Paint smell
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 15:51:09 »
I have had all the doors open for over an hour today, and bowls of water with lemon and salt, and ordered odour stuff.  But also noticed lots of specks of paint between the two doors that have been painted, and bits on one door edge, where it needs a bit more paint.

what with the smell and that, it is very upsetting. I have emailed the company that did it to say it is not acceptable and want it rectified. Plus the passenger window judders on the way up and down, which it didn't before. I think they must have taken the window out when spraying.

I know the paintwork can be sorted, but cannot drive the car with the paint fumes at the moment.  

They said they would go within a few days.. well it has not eased at all..

I will let my insurers know too, if they get funny.. but even if I was about to sell the car, then no way could I.

I love this car and cannot believe how a simple repair has caused so much distress and it cannot be healthy to drive in that small a space with fumes.

Offline Frostyballs

Paint smell
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 17:27:25 »
The window juddering may be cured by lubrication - spraying silicon spray (not WD40) in the window channels. Available from Halfords, etc.

Offline ffiscool

Paint smell
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 20:49:38 »
Thank you

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
Paint smell
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 10:01:46 »
Modern paints do smell, unfortunately it is a fact of life that the smell stays until the paint fully cures, blame the green brigade for objecting to old well tried polluting chemicals that smelled for a short time, it is supposed to be a safe smell.  :D
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline ffiscool

Paint smell
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:11:23 »
oh.. agh...   I have emailed the garage with photos of the unfinished/badly finished paintwork and will see what they say.

how long does the paint take approx to fully cure?

I thought they might have varnished/lacquered too quickly and that has made it worse perhaps

Offline dartman

• Global Moderator
Paint smell
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 13:54:26 »
My local man uses water based paints and it only lasts about 3-4 days, it would seem unlike your repairer mine doesn't leave any traces that the car was repaired or repainted.
old banger
I'm still not PC correct

Offline ffiscool

Paint smell
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 14:02:18 »
they rang me and it is going back in tomorrow.   maybe mine will fade soon and it is just the car was not aired or anything.  fingers crossed etc...