newbie thinking about a change

• 5 Replies

Offline colin

« on: March 14, 2017, 21:38:47 »
Hi all, new to the forum so forgive me if im in the wrong place. I currently drive an i30 tourer crdi 2014 ive had it since it was 8 months old and 8000miles its now done 18000 miles and without a hiccup(touch wood)
I dont do a lot of miles a year as I live local to my work. Im thinking of changing my car later this year and cant make my mind up on an i40 diesel or a ix35 diesel. Has anyone got any for or against either of these models or known issues with them, thanks in advance
i40 se nav business edition 65 plate in white

Offline Jon

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:05:29 »
Hello and welcome to the forum,

Both the ix35 and i40 are excellent cars. Many components are shared between models so there is unlikely to be a significant reliability difference. It's down to personal preference.
The winter capability of an all wheel drive ix35 can be matched/exceeded by switching to winter tyres or using a premium all season tyre such as Hankooks Kinergy 4S on a standard two wheel drive i40.

But at such low mileage I might consider petrol as a better option. Diesels need regular long runs to self clean the particulate filter in the exhaust system.
What's your driving pattern? Many short trips or few longer ones?
A diesel may cost more to buy and to maintain. Without higher mileage you may not recover that cost with any fuel economy saving. With a petrol you'll never have to pay out for a dual mass flywheel or DPF failure, petrols are simpler and often more reliable nowadays.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline colin

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 11:20:22 »
Hi and thanks for the response..I'm a truck mechanic and my work is local so I try not to use the car all the time on short trips,  on a positive side my daughter lives in Scotland which is 270 mile away so the car gets a good run up there several times a year so a chance to fully de soot the dpf :) I've had it 2 years and it's great on fuel and I'm happy with it its just I fancy a change and wondered if the ix35 or I 40s had any known issues.
I think your right about the petrol as my low yearly milage but I'd miss the diesel on my Scottish runs

Offline colin

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 16:17:48 »
After reading and studying the forums I'm tending to lean towards the i40 as my choice, but have read that they have had clutch problems. Does anyone know if this as been rectified as I will probably buy a 65 plate or 16 plate 1.7 crdi i40 .if they're still experiencing clutch faults I may look at an auto, any info appreciated

Offline Jon

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 16:34:05 »
There's also the 1.7 Crdi DCT to consider as an option.
7 speed dual clutch auto, shouldn't have the economy losses that you get with a normal torque converter auto. But they are rather rare.
Hyundai 2016 Santa Fe Premium SE Auto with Convenience pack
Previously drove 2011 Santa Fe Premium 7 seat man.
Also ride a 2 wheeled Triumph and fly a 22 wheeled Airbus.

Offline colin

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 18:17:44 »
Well the change is made I take delivery of my 65 plate i40 se nav business blue drive on Wednesday really happy with the spec and leather too..need to read the manual lots of gadgets to play with :)