Interior window coating

• 5 Replies

Offline mikef1

Interior window coating
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:22:25 »
Hi, I have a Tucson on a 56 plate.  Whilst cleaning it yesterday there were some marks on the inside of the passenger window which would not come off however hard I tried.  I then tried white spirit and some propriety degreasing spray.  Then realised that it was was some form of coating covering the whole of the inside of the window.

If you scratch it with a fingernail it comes off in small sparkly flakes. I now have a small clear patch but it is going to be a swine of a job to remove it all.

Any ideas what it is and any suggestions on how to remove it completely without scratching the window?

Thanks.

Offline Piskoty

Interior window coating
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 13:14:15 »
hopefully that's not the laminate which prevents the glass from shattering if it's broken?
i20 Active 1.2 5dr - Diamond Black (62 plate)

Offline mikef1

Interior window coating
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 13:01:23 »
I wondered about that but the only way to check that out is to do a destruction test!!

The way it flakes when scratched indicates it's quite brittle which I wouldn't have thought ties in with preventing it from shattering.

Offline noosantafe

• Global Moderator
Interior window coating
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 14:05:37 »
Sounds like some one has removed some window tinting materiel leaving behind an adhesive residue, try one of the window tinting firms they may have a removal product?.

Gazza!!!
My tombstone will say \"Idle git never cleaned his car\"
Tuscon N-line Hybrid polo white Tucson N-line fiery red my daughters.

Online Shambles

• Admin
    • https://www.i30ownersclub.com
Interior window coating
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 17:04:44 »
Could also be leftover from a spray tint.

Try a hairdryer & scraper first. If that makes no impact try some brake cleaning fluid.
2008 i30 Premium CRDi manual.
2014 i30 Style Nav CRDi 128ps manual.
2017 Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid.

Join us at the i30 Owners Club

Offline mikef1

Interior window coating
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:22:27 »
Thanks one and all.  I finally managed to get it all off but I have no fingernails left.  Odd that it's only on one window.