paint work

• 3 Replies

Offline Rayment

paint work
« on: July 27, 2017, 16:18:08 »
I have a 2010 Santa Fe with a few slight surface scratches  Would I do more harm if I T cut my car (never T cut before in my life) thanks

Offline Ruperts Trooper

paint work
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 16:32:29 »
If it's a metallic or pearlescent colour, it'll have a clear laquer layer over the paint - and the colour layer may not be thick enough to stand T-cut.
2015 VW Touareg 3.0TDI SE
2014 Hyundai i30 1.4 Active
2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi SE-L
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi Premium Auto 7-seat - now sold - BT60ZPK

Offline Rayment

paint work
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 16:44:29 »
Thanks I will try to find out what type it is

Offline Grant

paint work
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 14:03:03 »
Gotta disagree with above.

Provided the car hasn't been excessively "cut" previously then you will do no harm with a GENTLE T-cut.

However better to use Farclea G3 - it's a much better product (in my opinion)....

Some simple rules to remember.

Run your nail across the scratch, if you can distinctly feel it, no amount of T-cut will sort it - but it will make it better. However don't keep cutting till it's ok, you'll take the paint off!

If you can't feel it with your nail it will almost certainly cut out and fairly easily.

If cutting by hand, don't be to aggressive to start with, a little on a cloth, rub the affected areas gently, frequently wipe clean and take a look at how you are doing. Don't over-cut, better to get it pretty good, then move to a finer compound (G1 or similar).

If machine cutting don't use G3 unless you know exactly what you are doing - you'll cut the paint off - use G1. Do NOT use a power drill unless again you are a pro (in which case you wouldn't use a drill anyway) - you'll "burn" the paint - use a proper polisher (1400rpm or so vs 15000 rpm or so with a drill) and a good quality foam pad, keeping the surface wet and lubricated. (most put a bit of fairy into the water, then spray onto panel frequently).

Slowly slowly is the key, cleaning regularly to see how it's going - don't try and do it all in 2 mins or you'll damage the paint.
Working for a Hyundai Dealer - hope that\'s allowed here - so will try and help anyone I can with questions on New or Used Hyundai cars.