Music on USB - Playing in Correct Order

• 5 Replies

Offline Downsie

« on: September 22, 2017, 15:07:44 »
Hello everyone.  I'm new. I've had an Ioniq SE Premium since July this year (2017).

I was frustrated by the way the car places mp3 files in a different order to the order in which they were stored on their original albums.  That's not a big issue unless, like me, your music includes some classical pieces that really need to be played in the correct order.

After a lot of faffing about with the files' metadata, I eventually discovered that the car places some album files in alphabetical order using the track TITLE and not the FILENAME, ignoring the track number too just for good measure!

Folders also seem to be unnecessary provided the mp3 files are tagged with an album name.

Now that I know this, I edit all of my mp3 files' metadata (MediaMonkey is excellent for this) before I save them to the usb stick.  

By placing a number (two digits - 01, 02, 03 etc.) in front of each track's TITLE (not the filename), the problem is solved.

I've also found that it's good practice to format the usb stick before saving new files to it.
(Remembering to have the files backed up elsewhere!)

I searched several forums for a solution to this problem but found nothing. I just had to figure it out for myself.

I hope this is useful.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
    • https://www.i30ownersclub.com
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:09:06 »
That's useful info. Thanks.
2008 i30 Premium CRDi manual.
2014 i30 Style Nav CRDi 128ps manual.
2017 Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid.

Join us at the i30 Owners Club

Offline Pablo Hewitt

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 23:16:13 »
I am only having this issue when I have several different albums on my USB. As long as I put on a group of songs from multiple artists/albums everything mixes around. (One album, there is no issue).

Is this the same type of issue that you had, and even if it isn't, do you think what you have recommended would work for my case?

Sorry if this is redundant, but I just want to be sure before I put all the time into formatting as much as I want to format.

Offline Downsie

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 21:34:20 »
You should edit the metadata for your music files using MediaMonkey or something similar.  It's very easy.
Decide if you want your files stored on the usb as Albums or as a playlist.
If you want Albums, make sure each file in the album has an identical album name and then place a two digit number in front of each file's Title (NOT the filename).  The music will be played in numerical order.
If you only want a playlist, just put the numbers in front of the files' Titles as above and leave the Album name blank.

There is no need to use folders on the usb.  All your files will automatically be sorted into albums by the car's software using Album Name metadata.

Offline Downsie

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 17:08:29 »
I would also add that most CD music isn't recorded with in-car listening in mind.
The 'quiet bits' which sound great on your sound system in the lounge or on your headphones can be all but inaudible in traffic.

I strongly recommend using the excellent (free) software, "Audacity" to amplify and level your mp3 files, especially if you listen to orchestral pieces in the car.

If anyone is unsure about using Audacity, I'm more than happy to answer any questions although it is ridiculously easy once you get used to it.

Note: Amplify & level your music before you edit the metadata tags in MediaMonkey.  Audacity has a nasty habit of removing album art.

Offline Pablo Hewitt

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 18:26:24 »
Quote from: Downsie
I would also add that most CD music isn't recorded with in-car listening in mind.
The 'quiet bits' which sound great on your sound system in the lounge or on your headphones can be all but inaudible in traffic.

I strongly recommend using the excellent (free) software, "Audacity" to amplify and level your mp3 files, especially if you listen to orchestral pieces in the car.

If anyone is unsure about using Audacity, I'm more than happy to answer any questions although it is ridiculously easy once you get used to it.

Note: Amplify & level your music before you edit the metadata tags in MediaMonkey.  Audacity has a nasty habit of removing album art.

Thanks for adding this note. As a matter of fact, someone else suggested using Audacity to me, and it is incredibly easy to wrap your head around. Not only has that helped me get better music to listen to for drives, but it also gave me a seamless way to record voice messages and take a crack at amateur podcasting.