Out of Warranty Issue Question/Thoughts Required Please

• 9 Replies

Offline WAFU

My car (i30 SE Nav 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive) is now approaching being 6 years old.  As such, the 5 year Hyundai warranty will no longer apply.  In the past, to maintain warranty features, I’ve been happy to insure the car with Hyundai Insurance as, should there be a need, any replacement parts required under a claim, would be genuine Hyundai manufacturers spares.  Also there was no need for breakdown cover as this was covered under the 5 year warranty.

With the fact the car will be out of warranty and now having to both insure and take out breakdown cover, would it still make sense to stick with Hyundai Insurance or another reputable insurer?

Having got a number of quotes, they all have positive and negative factors as to which one may suit.  Windscreen replacement £60.00 with Hyundai, £75.00 - £100.00 with others.  Vandalsim and uninsured driver cover with no effect on NCB (No Claim Bonus) on others but there’s no mention of these on the Hyundai Insurance.  Also the possibility of mileage moneyback for miles not driven if lower than that given when taking out insurance.

I’m aware it ‘horses for courses’ / depends on personal circumstances / personal finances, but would welcome thoughts from others, especially on the Hyundai genuine parts.  Many thanks for your attention in the above and look forward to any comments.

Offline I30Sean

Re: Out of Warranty Issue Question/Thoughts Required Please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 12:21:13 »
If you use Hyundai Essential service (it starts at £99 base service) it includes breakdown for 1 year. We use the Essential service for our daughters care it is very reduced prices and if additional work is needed again at reduced price plus you keep the full dealer service history and parts they fit are warranty for 2 years. As for insurance I do a compere the market search every year and use a reputable broker or negotiate with my current insurer.

R Sean
i30T GDI Turbo Black (2016) and Tuscon T-GDI 1.6 48V Premium In White (2021) Plus i20 Active (2013) Plus i10SE (2017)

Offline WAFU

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 14:15:15 »
If you use Hyundai Essential service (it starts at £99 base service) it includes breakdown for 1 year. We use the Essential service for our daughters care it is very reduced prices and if additional work is needed again at reduced price plus you keep the full dealer service history and parts they fit are warranty for 2 years. As for insurance I do a compere the market search every year and use a reputable broker or negotiate with my current insurer.

R Sean

Many thanks Sean.  I have considered taking out a 3 year Esensetial Service package to cover 2 x major + 1 x interim services plus 2 x MOT's (won't allow 3?), as it seems good value for money.  Wasn't aware the Esensetial Service came with complimentary breakdown cover.  Whilst this would no doubt be handy if only motoring locally, not sure about it when travelling nationally throughout the UK.  Will look more in to it.

As for the insurance, I agree it can pay to shop around.  Best deal I've got so far which includes national breakdown cover and £100.00 less on the compulsory/voluntary excess payable, is over £140.00 cheaper than comparable cover from Hyundai.

Thanks again and I'll keep on looking.

Offline WAFU

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 15:41:39 »
Have managed to find, download, read and print off the esensetials Lifetime Servicing Care Programme Details, Terms and Conditions.

Very comprehensive with Hyundai Service Activated Roadside Assistance covering Roadside Assistance, Home start, Recovery (NOT post an accident) and Onward travel (NOT post an accident or Home start callout).

Not sure whether the car is covered for the year immediately following its fifth year service under the 5 year Service Plan which I took out when I bought the car, to cover the 5 year Warranty period.

Question for the dealership / Hyundai Head Office I suppose.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 17:27:13 »
Since my warranty expired I've taken advantage of the Hyundai Essential service plan.

As I only do around 5,000 miles a years I've opted for the basic on 2 successive and then did the  top one.
This year I will be doing the basic due lockdown I've done to very few miles.

Re the 2 items you say not covered after an accident.

Check the car insurance as it would usually be part of any subsequent claim.

As to travel outside local area, it does include recovery to one designated address, see section below:

Recovery provides recovery of Your Car, together with the driver and no more passengers than the legal seating
capacity of Your Car to any single destination of Your choice on the UK mainland or in Northern Ireland.

Re car Insurance:
You'll probably find it cheaper.

I do compare sites then once I've decided on  possible companies, I ring direct and always get a better rate, then decide.
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong

Offline WAFU

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 18:05:09 »
Since my warranty expired I've taken advantage of the Hyundai Essential service plan.

As I only do around 5,000 miles a years I've opted for the basic on 2 successive and then did the  top one.
This year I will be doing the basic due lockdown I've done to very few miles.

Re the 2 items you say not covered after an accident.

Check the car insurance as it would usually be part of any subsequent claim.

As to travel outside local area, it does include recovery to one designated address, see section below:

Recovery provides recovery of Your Car, together with the driver and no more passengers than the legal seating
capacity of Your Car to any single destination of Your choice on the UK mainland or in Northern Ireland.

Re car Insurance:
You'll probably find it cheaper.

I do compare sites then once I've decided on  possible companies, I ring direct and always get a better rate, then decide.

Thanks Eye30 for your reply and understood that Recovery and Onward Travel post an accident is normally part of any car insurance but mentioned it anyway as was commenting on the breakdown cover.

With your limited mileage, I appreciate your reasons for opting for the basic esensetial services before having a full one done.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 16:22:47 »
Glad to be of some help.

I'm due a drive outside my local area next week so I decided to read the current essentail document online.

Pages 3 and 6 are in conflict regarding  recovery destination.

Or am I reading it wrong and page 3 and page 6 are talking about 2 different recovery situations?

Any views?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 16:57:09 by eye30 »

Offline WAFU

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 11:23:28 »
Glad to be of some help.

I'm due a drive outside my local area next week so I decided to read the current essentail document online.

Pages 3 and 6 are in conflict regarding  recovery destination.

Or am I reading it wrong and page 3 and page 6 are talking about 2 different recovery situations?

Any views?

I read that as two different situations.  One for recovery post a breakdown and the other for recovery after an accident.  The latter not covered by the esensetials servicing t's & c's.

Believe you have a choice of where you want the car recovered to, locally or a destination of your choosing.

Will admit it's not an easy read or easy to understand document.  Hopefully there'll never be a need to use it but.......................
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:33:26 by WAFU »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 08:14:09 »
Yes confusing!

Found my original email from the first service.

On page 3 the wording is different as it says recover to a desination on your choice.

Hopefully I'll never need to call them but if I do require their service I'll produce my email as I've never received new notifications since.

Offline WAFU

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 10:27:08 »
Yes confusing!

Found my original email from the first service.

On page 3 the wording is different as it says recover to a desination on your choice.

Hopefully I'll never need to call them but if I do require their service I'll produce my email as I've never received new notifications since.

It's all computerised and the fact you've had an esensetials service should be logged on the Hyundai system.  One of the 'tick-off' items on the service sheet completed by the service technician, is for them to Quote  'Complete S.A.R.A registration on ACE'  Unquote.

It's my understanding S.A.R.A stands for Service Activated Roadside Assistance.  Not sure though.

Good idea to have your email confirmation with you.  The system will only work if the technician updated it.

My service sheet calls for the road wheels to be removed and rotated and it was circled as completed.  I would understand this for the front and back wheels to be transposed.  They haven't been as I have the original Hankook tyres on the back and having need to have replaced the font two tyres, one because of a puncture & wear on the other, Falkens on the front.  These were in the same positions as they were before the service.

Also on checking the tyre pressures the day after the service, as I like to have them all set to 36psi and the garage normally sets them at 32psi, all the valve caps were loose with one only needing a half turn before it came off.

Not worried about the lack of rotation of the wheels, as I wouldn't have wanted them swapped, but with all the valve caps being loose is, in my mind, a 'schoolboy' lack of attention.  Just hope this 'oversight' doesn't apply to items covered by the rest of the service, especially the tightening oil filter and drain plug!

The jobs only as good as the person doing it and the same applies to updating computer records.